Our church began on March 9, 1907
"The Apostolic Temple" at 404-406 E. Sandusky St., Findlay, Ohio
was the first home of the church. It used to be a local saloon.
Below are pictures as they remodeled it into a sanctuary.
T.K. Leonard bought the saloon in January 1907 and began renovating it on March 9, 1907
T.K. Leonard owned a gospel publishing house when he started the church.
Interior renovation of The Apostolic Temple, nicknamed "The Mission".
He also started a gospel college to equip people for ministry, which began
at the building as well. The Apostolic Temple had a church, school, and
publishing company in the same building.
By 1909 the church was called The Assembly of God. The building on E. Sandusky St. was used from 1907 until 1946, after which it was torn down. The Assembly of God met at the old YMCA for a short time before moving into the former
Trinity Lutheran Church at 124 Ash Avenue.
Rev. T.K. Leonard
The gospel school ran from 1907-1917 in Findlay. The Stone Church in Chicago asked T.K.
to bring the school there, where it lasted for a few years. The new pastor in Chicago
had a different vision for his church, so T.K. brought the school back to Findlay in 1921.
Gospel School at 1601-1603 Bliss Avenue
In 1921 the Gospel School began at the former Children’s Home, at 1601-1603 Bliss Avenue
in West Park area of Findlay. It was launched with a mighty tent revival beside the school on Morrical Boulevard with the Argue family. It was reported that over 2,000 attended the meetings.
Rev. Argue, his son Watson and daughter Zemla
Rev. Argue, his son Watson and daughter Zemla, were all ministers from Canada.
They were quite well know in Assembly of God circles during this era.
124 Ash Avenue, Findlay, Ohio
The congregation met in the old YMCA in 1946 after the old building was demolished.
Our second building was at the current location of 124 Ash Avenue in a white frame building.
We moved into it in 1947.
In 1963 we broke ground for a new sanctuary and moved into the sanctuary in 1964.
Sunday school classes were still held in the white building until it was demolished in 1970.
In 1971 new offices and classes were added onto the side of the sanctuary, as you can see in the brick building below.
This is the building as it looks today at 124 Ash Avenue
For more information about our church, contact the Church Office
The Assemblies of God grew out of the Pentecostal revival, which began in the early 1900s in places such as Topeka, Kansas, and the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles. During times of prayer and Bible study, believers received spiritual experiences like those described in the book of Acts. Accompanied by “speaking in tongues,” their religious experiences were associated with the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Jewish feast of Pentecost (Acts 2), and participants in the movement were dubbed “Pentecostals.” The Pentecostal movement has grown from a handful of Bible school students in Topeka, Kansas, to an estimated 600 million in the world today.
Many participants who were baptized in the Holy Spirit during revivals and camp meetings in the early 1900s were not welcomed back to their former churches. These believers started many small churches throughout the country and communicated through publications that reported on the revivals. In 1913, a Pentecostal publication, the Word and Witness, called for the independent churches to band together for the purpose of fellowship and doctrinal unity. Other concerns for facilitating missionaries, chartering churches and forming a Bible training school were also on the agenda.
Some 300 Pentecostals met at an opera house in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in 1914, and agreed to form a new fellowship of loosely knit independent churches. These churches were left with the needed autonomy to develop and govern their own local ministries, yet they were united in their message and efforts to reach the world for Christ. So began the General Council of the Assemblies of God.
Assemblies of God churches form a cooperative fellowship. As a result, the organization operates from the grass roots, allowing the local church to choose and develop ministries and facilities best suited for its local needs.